當有人說This luggage won’t go in the car . 這裡的go也不是「去」,而是「放不下」。
新冠流感春节强碰!疫苗打气增6成 台大推「随到随打」XBB免挂号费
開始用字的第二個意思、第三個意思,你的英文聽起來就會很自然,不像翻譯式的英文,也就是英語脫離母語干擾了。
講道地的英文,我們先從熟悉最常見這10個動詞開始,慢慢在閱讀、查字典的過程中養成習慣,注意到字的第二個意思。
1.come
I understand the plan perfectly, but I can’t see where I come in. 我完全瞭解這項計劃,但不知道我能起什麼作用?
My work comes first. 工作優先。
2.get
Don’t get me wrong. 不要誤會我的意思。
Your attitude gets me. 你的態度令我莫名其妙。
3.give
He gave me his cold. 他把感冒傳染給我。
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you our speaker for tonight. 女士們,先生們,讓我向諸位介紹今晚的講者。
4.go
This luggage won’t go in the car.
車子放不下這行李。
There are six minutes to go. 還有6分鐘。
5.keep
Does your watch keep good time? 你的表走得準嗎?
Sorry to disturb you, but this problem won’t keep. 對不起,打擾你了,可是這個問題急待處理。
6.make
I make the distance ten miles. 這段距離我估計是10英里。
He made to go. 他要走了。
7.put
They have just put through a business deal. 他們剛剛達成一筆生意。
Can you put it in simpler English?
你能用更簡單的英語說嗎?
8.do
Will tomorrow do for the meeting? 明天開會行嗎?
I’ve been done! The antique is a fake. 我受騙了!這古董是件贗品。
9.run
He is not willing to run the risk of losing his money. 他不願冒賠錢的風險。
He will run on for hours about his troubles. 關於麻煩事他會連續談幾個小時。
10.turn
He did not turn a finger to help.
他連舉手之勞的忙也不肯幫。
Turn this sentence into English.
將這句話譯成英文。
世界公民Weekly
由世界公民文化中心提供